Dr. Clayton Neighbors received his PhD from the University of Houston. He is currently a Professor and the Director of the Social Psychology Program at the University of Houston. His work focuses on social, motivational, and spiritual influences in the etiology, prevention, and treatment of health and risk behaviors. He has applied his research toward better understanding and alleviating problems related to alcohol and substance abuse, intimate partner violence, problem gambling, body image and eating disorders, and aggressive driving. Support for this research has been provided by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the National Institute on Mental Health, and the Department of Defense.
- Neighbors, C., Walker, D., Mbilinyi, L., O'Rourke, A., Edleson, J. L., Zegree, J, & Roffman, R. A. (2010). Normative misperceptions of abuse among perpetrators of intimate partner violence. Violence Against Women, 16, 370-386.
- Neighbors, C., LaBrie, J. W., Hummer, J. F., Lewis, M. A., Lee, C. M., Desai, S., Kilmer, J. R., & Larimer, M. E. (2010). Group identification as a moderator of the relationship between social norms and alcohol consumption. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 24, 522-528.
- Neighbors, C., Lewis, M. A., Atkins, D. C., Jensen, M. M., Walter, T., Fossos, N., Lee, C. M., & Larimer, M. E. (2010). Efficacy of web-based personalized normative feedback: A two-year randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 78, 898-911.
- Neighbors, C., Lee, C. M., Lewis, M. A., Fossos, N., & Walter, T. (2009). Internet-based personalized feedback to reduce 21st birthday drinking: A randomized controlled trial of an Event Specific Prevention Intervention. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 77, 51-63.
- Neighbors, C., O'Connor, R. M., Lewis, M. A., Chawla, N., Lee, C. M., & Fossos, N. (2008). The relative impact of descriptive and injunctive norms on college student drinking: The role of reference group. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 22, 576-581.
- Neighbors, C., Walker, D. D., Roffman, R. A., Mbilinyi, L. F., & Edleson, J. L. (2008). Self determination theory and motivational interviewing: Complementary models to elicit voluntary engagement by partner-abusive men. American Journal of Family Therapy, 36, 126-136.
- Toumbourou, J. W., Stockwell, T., Neighbors, C., Marlatt, G. A., Sturge, J., & Rehm, J. (2007). Interventions to reduce harm associated with adolescent substance use: An international review. Lancet, 369, 1391-1401.
- Radin, S. R., Neighbors, C., Walker, P. S., Walker, D., Marlatt, G. A., & Larimer, M. E. (2006). The changing influences of self-worth and peer deviance on drinking problems in urban American Indian adolescents. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 20, 161-170.
- Bergstrom, R. L., & Neighbors, C. (2006). Body image disturbance and the social norms approach: An integrative review of the literature. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 25, 975-1000.
- Neighbors, C., Lewis, M. A., Bergstrom, R. L., & Larimer, M. E. (2006). Being controlled by normative influences: Self-determination as a moderator of a normative feedback alcohol intervention. Health Psychology, 25, 571-579.
- Neighbors, C., Spieker, C. J., Oster-Aaland, L., Lewis, M. A., & Bergstrom, R. L. (2005). Celebration intoxication: An evaluation of 21st birthday alcohol consumption. Journal of American College Health, 54, 76-80.
- Neighbors, C., Larimer, M. E., & Lewis, M. A. (2004). Targeting misperceptions of descriptive drinking norms: Efficacy of a computer-delivered personalized normative feedback intervention. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 72, 434-447.
- Prevention and Treatment of Substance Abuse
- Social Psychology
126 Heyne Building
Department of Psychology
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-5022
- Phone: (713) 743-2616